Los Angeles Drug Crimes Lawyers
Los Angeles laws impose strict penalties for people convicted of drug crimes including drug possession, transportation, possession for sale, as well as other offenses.
In Los Angeles, it is a crime to possess narcotics such as:
2. Crack (cocaine in its base form)
6. Methamphetamine (speed)
Possession or sale of prescription drugs like Oxycontin or Vicodin is also illegal.
Most Los Angeles drug crimes violate:
1. Health and Safety Code Section 11364: it deals with possession of drug paraphernalia
2. Health and Safety Code Section 11352(a): possession or possession for sale of a controlled substance
3. Health and Safety Code Section 11352(b): transportation or transportation for sale of a controlled substance
4. Health and Safety Code Section 11353: it deals with selling a controlled substance to a minor
Recent research shows that California has the highest number of drug prosecutions in the United States. Drug crime charges depend on various factors, such as:
1. Type of drug
2. Quantity of the drug in question
3. Whether the drug is possessed for sale or for personal use
4. The offender’s criminal record
The prosecutor has to consider these factors before filing charges.
Penalties for Los Angeles drug crimes
The consequences one could face if convicted of drug crimes in California are very serious. Penalties for drug crimes include:
1. Imprisonment in state prison or county jail
2. Large legal fines
3. Parole or probation after being released from prison
4. Restitution for cost incurred during investigation
5. Mandatory drug counseling
6. Registration as a drug offender
7. The offender’s driver’s license will be revoked
If an individual is convicted of a crime in future, past drug crimes could be used to enhance the sentence. It is common for Los Angeles prosecutors to charge folks with possession for sale, even if they possessed the drugs for personal use. That’s why you need to hire a skilled Los Angeles drug crime lawyer to handle your case.
An experienced attorney could have the possession charges thrown out if law enforcement didn’t act fairly. Similarly, if the convicted person is sentenced to life imprisonment, a good lawyer could plead down the case to a simple possession charge, thus making the convicted person eligible for a drug counseling program, rather than serving a life sentence.
It is advisable to receive good legal guidance, when arrested or charged with drug crimes. Drug crime attorneys at our firm have many years of experience in representing individuals facing drug charges or drug-related offenses, such as:
1. Drug trafficking, importation, or smuggling
2. Unauthorized possession, sale, or use of prescription drugs such as Xanax, Oxycontin, or Vicodin
3. Heroin possession and manufacturing
4. Cultivation of marijuana
5. DUI involving drugs
6. Student or juvenile drug offenses
7. Property crimes to support drug habits
8. Conspiracy charges
9. Money laundering
Note that a simple drug charge could result in civil drug penalties like asset forfeiture of cash, real estate, or motor vehicles connected to drug crimes. If the offender is a child, the parents’ home could also be seized, depending on the seriousness of the offense.
When faced with such charges, you should hire a lawyer who will analyze the facts of your cases, and protect you from harsh criminal consequences. The only thing that will benefit you at trial is a strong defense. You certainly don’t want to pay enormous fines or serve life in prison, as a result of a conviction that could easily be averted.
Our firm has some of the best Los Angeles drug lawyers. You’ll get the skill and experience required to build and strong defense, and obtain a successful outcome. Our highly skilled lawyers will do everything within their power to help you avoid a conviction, or if need be, lessen the penalty. Our aim is to help you win your case.